Posted on May 23 2017
It’s become a summer tradition of sorts, the “Ladies Dinner” on the second Thursday in August when we’re all wishing summer would last just a bit longer.I invite women I’ve known for years and new friends I meet each summer. I make the main courses and a cool, summer dessert and people bring whatever they love to cook or want to eat. It’s a fun relaxed evening that’s what Watch Hill is all about!
I like to try a new recipe each year, which usually turns into a summer favorite. Last year, for the first time, I made a nectarine salad inspired by Green Kitchen Stories. It was perfect and, sorry to say for my husband, there were no leftovers!!
- 2 cups fresh lima beans
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil (extra virgin if you have it)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large or two small shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 nectarines cut into thin wedges
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 orange or red bell peppers, julienned
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Cook the beans in salted boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse in colder water to stop them from cooking further.
- Make the dressing in a large bowl: whisk together lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, scallion, and jalapeno. Salt to taste.
- Fold in the beans, corn, nectarines, avocados, peppers and tomatoes into the dressing. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Fold in the cilantro just before serving. Serve chilled.